Maiko's Happy Days

Thursday, August 10, 2006

NEIGHBORHOOD

Yesterday, I studied about a phonetics of “L” and “R” and a nation of immigrants. The pronunciations and the listening of L and R are so difficult for Japanese. But once I came to be able to use them properly, my English would be better, I think.
I study international communication on my university so I am interested in American immigrants. This country has many people from various countries. Our mentors are too. How they become one nation and how they communicate each other regardless of the difference countries and difference cultures are one of my interested thing. But Now, I don’t have any knowledge of American immigrants. Therefore, I want to come back here to study about this problem in the future.

After lunch, we went to the field trip to Chinatown and Adams Morgan. I was surprised that the Chinatown is small area! I thought the town was bigger. In Adams Morgan, I saw many Spanish. I am studying Spanish now, so I feel so excited. I got a newspaper in Spanish. I try to read it.

It has difference of the atmosphere from Washington D.C. I took picture many scenery of a row of houses and streets. The scenery looked like a post card. I like it!!


This night, I slept soundly…

3 Comments:

  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Lately I've met a lot of Japanese university students studying Spanish! Is it popular in Japan, or is it just a coincedence that I've met so many?

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger Nina Liakos said…

    That's great that you are studying Spanish! I had a Japanese student recently who lived in Central America for a while and spoke Spnaish fluently.

    Don't forget that Chinatown, Adams-Morgan, and U Street/Shaw are all part of Washington, DC! The areas we saw Friday-Sunday were not residential areas.

    My sister lives in upper northwest DC, which is very different from where we were yesterday. DC has lots of diverse neighborhoods with different ethnic groups and different economic classes. Most American cities are like that.

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger maiko said…

    Hello Laura,
    I think students studying Spanish are not so much popular than studying Chinese. In Japan, many students learn Chinese!! But, I don’t learn it. I want to go to the Spanish area in the future.

    Hi Nina,
    I was surprised that really various people are there in the Washington D.C. Many languages are flying in downtown. So when I walk in downtown, I feel as lf I were in the many country.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home